Thursday, 23 March 2017
The UN refugee agency (UNHCR) warned that food and medical shortages and sustained shelling could provoke a mass exodus.
An agency official in Iraq, Bruno Geddo, said: "The worst is yet to come."
Last month the Iraqi government launched an offensive to recapture west Mosul, which is the last major urban centre controlled by IS.
Fighting has intensified in recent days as the government forces have retaken a series of neighbourhoods from IS, but the militants still hold an estimated 40% of western Mosul.
The UN says 600,000 people are still in IS-controlled areas, including 400,000 trapped in siege-like conditions.
"They are desperate for food. They are panicked," said Mr Geddo, speaking from the Hammam al-Alil camp for people displaced by the fighting, a few miles south of Mosul.
"There is a shortage of fuel, of food, of electricity.
"People have resorted to burning furniture, old clothes, anything they can use to keep warm at night, because it is still raining heavily and the temperatures at night in particular drop significantly," he said.
He said many people were surviving on just bread and water, and eating once a day.
Medical charity Doctors Without Borders have reported treating children for "severe malnutrition" after they escaped the city.
The UN says many people are scared to leave their homes because of Islamic State snipers, but around 157,000 have reached a transit centre since the offensive began.
Between 8,000 and 12,000 people were now arriving at the transit centre each day, Mr Geddo said.
He said those who were making it through were telling staff at the centre they preferred "to take the risk of dying while I stand a chance to be free and safe again with my family".
Former NASCAR driver Pete Hamilton passed away Tuesday at the age of 74. This was written about his 1970 Daytona 500 victory in December 2016.The ’70 season was the absolute height of the NASCAR aero wars. From the Chrysler camp, there were the Plymouth Superbirds and Dodge Daytonas, each with high wings in back and sharply beveled noses, both to control the flow of air around the cars.
Ford Motor Co. countered with the Torino Talladega and Mercury Cyclone Spoiler, which while they lacked the big rear wings of their Mopar counterparts, had specially elongated noses to cheat the wind.By the time 1970 rolled around, Richard Petty had already won two of what would become his record seven Daytona 500s and came in as one of the favorites. Petty piloted the No. 43 Superbird with a new teammate in New England racer Pete Hamilton, from Dedham, Mass.Hamilton piloted the No. 40 Petty Enterprises Superbird, with Petty’s brother and future NASCAR Hall of Fame member Maurice as the crew chief on the No. 40. Aside from the numbers, Hamilton’s car was distinguishable from Petty’s because it carried a prominent red 7-Up decal on the rear quarter panel, which the No. 43 lacked.The ’70 Daytona 500 turned into a surprisingly brutal war of attrition, with the carnage starting early.Petty lost an engine on Lap 7 and finished 39th, two spots behind pole-sitter Cale Yarborough, who saw the engine in his Wood Brothers Mercury give up the ghost on Lap 31.
Donnie Allison, A.J. Foyt and second-qualifier Buddy Baker were among the 17 drivers who saw their cars fail to go the distance because of mechanical maladies of one sort or another.Hamilton, however, was able to take the checkered flag ahead of NASCAR Hall of Famers David Pearson and Bobby Allison, with another Hall member, Bobby Isaac, fifth behind Charlie Glotzbach.
Later that season, Hamilton would sweep both Talladega races in the Petty Blue No. 40, giving him three victories in just 16 starts that year.Hamilton would win just one more Premier Series race, a Daytona 500 qualifier in 1971 in a Cotton Owens-owned Dodge. He would retire in 1973 because of a neck injury, having made only 64 career starts.But in the 1970 Daytona 500, it was Hamilton who reigned and not his teammate, “The King.”
Police arrested a 28-year-old Baltimore man on Wednesday who admitted to fatally stabbing a black man in Manhattan, telling police he hated black men.
James Harris Jackson was charged with murder in Monday's stabbing and death of Timothy Caughman, a 66-year-old black man who suffered multiple wounds to the chest and back, police said.
Jackson turned himself in after the New York City Police Department asked for the public's help in finding him, and distributed surveillance video and a photograph of him to the media. After seeing the images, Jackson found his way to a Times Square police station and surrendered, police said.
“I’m the person that you’re looking for,” Jackson told police, Assistant Police Chief William Aubrey told the Associated Press.
Jackson traveled by bus on Friday to New York City to the "media capital of the world" to generate as much attention as possible, police said.
On Monday, Jackson was wandering the streets of the city, wearing an overcoat that concealed a 26-inch sword, when he encountered Caughman, who was picking through trash, police said. Jackson used the sword to stab Caughman repeatedly, police said.
At about 11:30 p.m., Caughman staggered into the Midtown South police precinct bleeding of multiple wounds, police said. He was pronounced dead at Bellevue Hospital Center, according to NYPD.
When Jackson turned himself in, police recovered the sword.
Jackson told police that he hated black men for at least a decade. He was staying at a hotel in midtown, police said.
“The reason he picked New York is because it’s the media capital of the world, and he wanted to make a statement,” Aubrey said.
Police suggested that Jackson had been thinking of attacking others, but instead chose to turn himself in.
16 YEAR OLD BOY TIES EX-GIRLFRIEND TO BED, TAKES INDECENT PHOTOS OF HER, GAGS & BURNS HER WITH CIGARETTE BEFORE RAPING HER FOR LEAVING HIM
A 16 year old boy who can't be named to protect his victim's identity, tied his former girlfriend and mother of his child to a bed and burnt her with a lighter before violently raping the woman while saying 'if i can't have you nobody else will', the Newcastle Crown Court heard on Wednesday.
In the horrific two hour ordeal, the teenager, gagged his victim with a golf ball in a sock, threatened her with a knife and a metal bar, tied her hands and legs, rubbed sandpaper on her arm, put a cigarette lighter on her stomach, took indecent pictures of her and then undressed her before proceeding to rape her, days after she ended their relationship.
It all started when the boy called the lady who also happens to have a child for him, that he wanted to see his child at his mother's home in Gosforth, and she agreed to come meet him not knowing his mum won't be around, then the unimaginable happened!
When she arrived the house, she saw that the boy had already prepared and laid in wait with four pieces of rope already tied to the four corners of the bed.
The boy then bound her hands/legs to the bed with the ropes, rubbed her arm with sandpaper, put a golf ball in a sock in her mouth, burnt her stomach with a cigarette lighter, threatened her with a knife and a metal bar, undressed and took indecent photos of her, started raping her and told her he would kill her..
After the ordeal, the boy's mum returned to the house, and saw her crying but when she asked her what happened, she refused to tell the boy's mum due to fear of being attacked by the boy. The mum then went upstairs to smoke, then the boy continued his attack on her, this time raping her more vigorously, taking more naked photos of her and threatening to post them on the internet
She said in a victim statement to the court: “I will never forget what happened that day.”
The Judge, Edward Bindloss, who sentenced the boy to 9 years' detention in youth custody with an extended licence period running until 2032 said:
“You had prepared for what followed.
“You had various items ready to threaten her with, and you lured her to the house.
“You became angry and head-butted her and said if you couldn’t have her, nobody else would.”
“This is one of the most serious cases of rape I’ve ever had to deal with.
“There is a significant risk of serious harm occasioned by you of further offences. I do find you dangerous.”
His defence attorney, Mark Styles, said: “He is a confused and troubled young man who has witnessed domestic violence in his formative years and that has left him with his own problems.
“He is a boy who was struggling to cope with the circumstances he was in.”
Story source: Chronicle Live/ Mirror UK
BISI ALIMI SAY HE LOOKS FORWARD TO THE DAY AFRICANS ACROSS THE CONTINENT WILL GATHER THEIR BIBLE AND QURAN AND BURN THEM AT THE MARKET PLACE
Gay right activist, Bisi Alimi shared the above message on his Instagram page and captioned it;
"It is the responsibility of Africans both young and old to make sure the continent regains its glory. We should remember the Europeans that used the bible to enslave us have turned their back against it."